PARENTS! PLEASE NOTE:
This page is being edited everyday... please bookmark & coming back for more community programming
Past Summer Events:
Rec + Robin's Ice Cream Gris-WORLD Tour
Family Field Trip to Natures Art Dinosaur Park (2 events)
Click Below to Sign Up for Scattergories &/or Disney Trivia!
Wolverine Kits 4 Kids Tutorials
SOLD OUT BUT..... WE HAVE BACK UP BOXES WITHOUT ALL CRAFTS THAT YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR.
Weekly Kids Craft Montage Videos (Coming Soon)
View the Tutorial Video from our Youth Center Staff (Coming Soon!)
Youth Center Zoom Games (Coming Soon)
Griswold / Jewett City Historic Scavenger Hunt (Coming Soon)
Where's Ducktape Duck!?? (Coming Soon)
YC + Book Place = Pop Up Neighborhood Book Give Away (Coming Soon)
In Person & Virtual Sport Camps
Be a 4-H Brainiac! Summer Library Virtual Programs
2020 UConn 4-H New London County @ SLATER LIBRARY!
Call the library @ (860)376-0024 to sign up!
This summer you can participate in 4-H activities with your library in a new way! Register by calling Slater Library @ (860)376-0024 to receive different 4-H activities you can build along with Ms. Pam, Ms. Therese, and Ms. Sara during Facebook live sessions. There will also be Facebook Live or Zoom 4-H Break-out! Escape Rooms too!
These programs are designed for ages 8 -12, but a slightly younger child may join with parental help.
There will be five 4-H activities and five 4-H Break-out! Escape Rooms. You will need to sign up by contacting
Slater Library- space is limited so call (860) 376-0024 soon! You can sign up for one class or all ten!
Kits will be available for pick-up at your library on the Monday or Tuesday before the Facebook Live Build.
Call the library ahead for curb side pick-up. Instructions will NOT be included in your kit, so you will have to watch the Facebook session to see how to do your activity or experiment!
(Instructions will be posted the next day just in case you missed the session.)
Brainiac Build #1 June 17, 10:00 am
Brush-Bots are tiny robots you build with a toothbrush, battery and a vibrating motor. See if your brush-bot can clean the ‘oil
spill’ you have in your kit. You can dress your brush-bot up with craft supplies you have at home, and watch it buzz around your room!
Brainiac Build #2 July 1, 10:00 am
Blazing Bugs use LED lights for their antennae. Have scissors and markers on hand to cut out and personalize your bug!
Brainiac Build #3 July 15, 10:00 am
Breakfast Nails and Ballerinas mean fun with Neodymium Magnets and cereal (what?!). These super-strong magnets should be used with an adult around- they are not for play or like refrigerator magnets.
Brainiac Build #4 July 29, 10:00 am
Suck-a-Bug, otherwise known as a Pooter, are for real how scientists collect delicate insects. You will build one using a medicine
bottle and straws. Plus you’ll learn the secret to not getting a bug in your mouth!
Brainiac Build #5 August 12, 10:00 am
Buckle-up Eggs for a wild ride! You will build an egg vehicle using only spaghetti and rubber bands.Don’t worry parents- we’ll be
using a plastic Easter egg for our experiment.
4-H Break-out! Escape Rooms
A different theme each time, on the odd week of the 4-H Brainiac activities.
June 24, July 8, July 22, August 5, August 19 10:00am
4-H Break-outs may be on the UConn 4-H New London County Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/NLC4H or may be held via Zoom. If Zoom, the invite will be emailed to each family and library and
not shared publicly.
All 4-H Brainiac Build Facebook Live sessions will be on the UConn 4-H New London County Facebook
page: https://www.facebook.com/NLC4H at 10:00 am.
4-H Brainiac Build activity instructions will be posted on Facebook and the UConn 4-H New London County Afterschool &
Summer webpage: http://www.4-h.uconn.edu/NLondCo/nlc-afterschool-and-special.
EVENTS & SOCIAL FUN
Click the Photo Below To Go To The Facebook Group
FREE & CHEAP ACTIVITIES
GES SUMMER READING
GMS SUMMER READING
GHS SUMMER READING
The Great Griswold Summer Reading Challenge!
See how many books you can read over the summer from the following categories.
This challenge is open to anyone -- administrators, staff, students, and faculty. When you have read your book, record your achievement here.
At the end of the summer, we will award prizes to the people who read the most books. Have fun, enjoy your summer, and LET’S GET READING, GHS!
Yo-Yo and Mo offer a series of playful experiments that show how art and music inspire each other. Watch, listen or even join in from home with paper and doodling implements!
FREE FUN! HUNDREDS OF GEO'S AROUND OUR TOWN!
Kids Under 5
1. Make this simple DIY ball ramp game.
2. Play free games featuring Elmo, Daniel Tiger and more at pbskids.org.
3. ABCmouse.com offers a 30-day free trial of their interactive lessons and games.
4. Try out Post-It Match—a DIY name recognition activity.
5. Watch astronauts read children’s books from space.
6. Through the quarantine, Other Goose is offering their charter school-approved curriculum for free. Start budgeting like a boss with our FREE budgeting tool!
7. Disney+ is a favorite in our house, and they offer a seven-day free trial. (Be sure to set a reminder on your calendar to cancel on day seven!)
Kindergarten to Middle School
8. Create new animals, build a habitat for them and so much more with Switch Zoo Animal Games.
9. A whole website of Dr. Seuss games? Adorable.
11. Create your own spelling tests or choose from dozens at Spelling Training.
12. Help your kids plant their first garden! This site has everything you need.
Middle School, High School and Beyond
13. Learn a new language!
14. Use code-breaking and geography skills in these awesome Carmen Sandiego worksheets.
15. Check out free cooking and science experiments every day.
16. Try a free trial of online courses for teens and adults.
17. AP students can prep for their courses using live trivia and study guides.
18. Brush up on your writing skills with this writing course free trial.
19. Don’t forget, you can watch every episode of The Rachel Cruze Show for free!
20. Watch live video feeds of giraffes, baboons, polar bears and more from the San Diego Zoo.
21. This app adds music, sound effects and character voices to children’s books to create a totally new story time experience!
22. Print out these at-home activity packs for math and reading at every grade level, and check out hundreds of thousands MORE worksheets here.
23. Watch these livestreams of real wildlife from Alaska.
24. Play educational games personalized to your child’s learning level at DreamBox.
25. Teach your kids responsibility and the value of money with our fun activities in our SmartKids Launchpad.
- Free! Make a Salmon Meal by Michael Stember - Olympian (Ages: 10 - 17 Years) — 12:30 PM ET
- Free! Kids' Soccer by NYC Girls' Soccer Club (Ages: 5 - 13 Years) — 1:30 PM ET
- Ballet with Emily - Disney's Frozen / Princesses - Ages 3-5 by Creativities with EEK (Ages: 3 - 5 Years) — 10:00 AM ET
- Chess by ILY INC (Ages: 4 - 17 Years) — 1:00 PM ET
- Spanish through Music, Movement and Play for Babies, Toddlers and Preschoolers by Cucu's PlayHouse (Ages: Birth - 6 Years) — 1:30 PM ET
- Free! Building a Champion Brain by Breeja Larson - Olympian (Ages: 5 - 9 Years) — 10:00 AM ET
- Free! Princess Camp - Arts and Crafts! by Pure Imagination Party Company (Ages: 3 - 10 Years) — 1:30 PM ET
- Music Camp With Corey by Music with Corey (Ages: 12 Months - 17 Years) — 9:30 AM ET
- Kids Parkour Class by Parkour Generations Boston (Ages: 6 - 13 Years) — 11:00 AM ET
- Dinosaurs Rock® Fossil Adventure - Bonus Dinosaur Tooth by Dinosaurs Rock (Ages: 4 - 10 Years) — 3:30 PM ET
- Free! 11 Free Activities by KidPass and Mommy Nearest Summer Camp Fair (All Ages) — All Day
- The FunikiJam Show! LIVE with Captain Jam by FunikiJam Music (Ages: 24 Months - 9 Years) — 10:30 AM ET
- Art with The Craft Studio - 4 - 8 Years by The Craft Studio (Ages: 4 - 8 Years) — 11:00 AM ET
- Meet a Princess! by Pure Imagination Party Company (Ages: 4 - 10 Years) — 12:00 PM ET
- Free! Yoga and Dance with Puppets by Caravan Toddler Yoga (Ages: 24 Months - 5 Years) — 11:30 AM ET
- Free! Saving & Budgeting Workshop by Fit Financial Academy (Ages: 8 - 12 Years) — 4:00 PM ET
- Kids in Motion by MOCO Movement Center (Ages: 3 Months - 8 Years) — 9:30 AM ET
- Little Bundles/Tiny Tykes/Waddlers by My Gym Park Slope & Cobble Hill (Ages: 6 Months - 22 Months) — 10:30 AM ET
- Kickboxing for Kids by Playroom Martial Arts Family Studio (Ages: 6 - 12 Years) — 11:30 AM ET
- Free! Creative Ballet by Dance with Joy NYC (Ages: 18 Months - 6 Years) — 10:30 AM ET
- Craft, Play, Learn, & Grow by Lucia Dobranska - Arts & Craft Teacher (Ages: 24 Months - 6 Years) — 8:30 AM ET
- Morning Meditation + EQ Mindfulness Activity for Kids by The Conscious Generation (Ages: 3 - 17 Years) — 9:30 AM ET
- Noe's Garden - Magical Online Music Class by Noe's Garden (Ages: Birth - 5 Years) — 12:00 PM ET
- Free! Singing, Music Exploration and Acting Camp by The Vocal Lab NYC (Ages: 4 - 6.5 Years) — 11:00 AM ET
- Free! Playful & Mindful Yoga by Pauls Pujats - Olympian (Ages: 3 - 17 Years) — 12:00 PM ET
- Mind Body Music - Online Music Class by Mind Body Music (Ages: 6 Months - 6 Years) — 9:30 AM ET
- Little Thinks by Thinkertales (Ages: 12 Months - 3.5 Years) — 9:45 AM ET
- Virtual Coding Class by Code With Us (Ages: 6 - 18+ Years) — 2:00 PM ET
- Story Time with Ms. Larissa by Larissa Ashley Hernandez - Reading Teacher (Ages: 2.5 - 5 Years) — 10:00 AM ET
- Tots + Tutus by GIGIL (Ages: 24 Months - 6 Years) — 1:00 PM ET
- Online Create & Learn Class with Miss Diana by Gymboree Play and Music - Thousand Oaks (Ages: 18 Months - 5 Years) — 5:30 PM ET